Sunday, August 12, 2012

Conceptual Artwork Photoshop Tutorial

I mentioned in my last tutorials that I will make more concept and surreal artworks because I like that style. I like to make an artwork that transmits an idea or reflects a feeling or state of mind and for this artwork I chose to play with the idea of time once again.
I’d like to show you how to work with perspectives so I’ll make an introduction to the Vanishing Point and especially how to compose stock images so that they look naturally lit, in other words how to combine stock images without them looking weird as far as lighting is concerned.

Final Result


Stock used

Video version


Step 1

As usually I started with the background and, once again, I was limited to using the rather small dimensions of the background image as my canvas size. So open the background image and proceed to the next step.

Step 2

Open the stock image of the man and extract if from the background using the Pen Tool, Quick Selection tool or whater technique you like. Notice how I left a part of the original background on the bottom part of the man’s feet. We will mask that on the next step.

Lighting tip

Choosing your image wisely can save you precious time. In this case the man blends almost perfectly with the background image without making any adjustments. Also notice how the illuminated part of the man is facing towards the right side of the background. This makes a lot of sense because you can see that the light comes from the right side. Keep that in mind when you compose your image using different stock images.

Step 3

Create a layer mask for the man layer. Now select the default grass brush to mask the man’s feet and make him blend with the grass from the background image. You have to open the brush window (Window>Brush) and deactivate Color Dynamics. Make sure you paint with black on the layer mask.

Step 4

Create a duplicate of the man layer and use Hue/Saturation to reduce the Lightness to 0 and obtain a silhouette. Then use the Distort Tool to cast the shadow of the man on the ground. Apply some Gaussian Blur to soften it a bit. You can use the same step to mask part of the shadow on the man’s right foot. I reduced the Opacity of the shadow layer to 60%.

Step 5

The only adjustment you need to make to the man in order to blend him perfectly with the background, is a color adjustment which I made using a Photo Filter as a clipping mask layer and Normal blend mode.

Step 6

Add the clock image on the canvas on a new layer as shown on image 6. I used a Photo Filter (Orange Color and Density to 50%) and Color Balance as clipping masks to add more yellow to it. That way it blends a lot better with the background.

Step 7

In order to keep the light effects consistent throughout the scene, I added some light on the right side of the clock using Inner Shadow.

Step 8

Now you have to duplicate and scatter those clocks keeping the perspective. The best way of doing that is using the Vanishing Point Tool. We are going to render a perspective grid that will help use line up the clocks into the distance.
Create a new empty layer above the clock layer and go to Filter>Vanishing Point. Draw a plane as shown on image 8.
Use the lines on the horizon of the background image as guide. If the plane turns out yellow, the plane is not correct, it has to be blue. Once you have the plane, click the drop down menu on the top left side of the settings bar and select Render Grids to Photoshop and click OK.

Step 9

Now you should have a new grid rendered on the new layer, you will use that as a guide to help you line up the clocks. So duplicate the clock layer using Ctrl+J and resize it helping yourself with the gird. See image 9.

Step 10

In order to add some variations I used other stock images of clocks to change the dials on each clock so that they indicate different hours.

Step 11

Now you have to do some masking. Select all the clocks and dials if you changed them like I did on Step 11 and group them pressing Ctrl+G. A new folder containing all the layers with the clocks should be created. I named this group Clocks and I created a layer mask for it. Next I used the same grass brush to paint on this layer mask and create the effect that the clocks are emerging from the grass on the ground.

Step 12

Now that the clocks are in place, you can make the shadows. Simply duplicate the biggest clock and use the same technique used with the man to cast the shadow. Obviously this shadow should fall behind the man.

Now you can duplicate this shadow and resize it because all clocks are the same. I also applied a few pixels of Gaussian Blur to soften it and reduced the layer Opacity to 70%.
There is one thing you can do to make these shadows a lot more realistic. Make it look like some of the shadows are covered by grass. Again I grouped all the shadow layers and use a layer mask on the group to do exactly the same thing I did with the clocks.

Step 13

Create a new layer on top of all the layers and change it’s blend mode to Screen. Use a soft brush about 650px in diameter and paint to glows of light using the color #866946.

Step 14

From now on you can leave it like this or add whatever you like. I added a few words and painted some letters in different colors to compose a “hidden” message.

Step 15

Next I use the Pen Tool to trace some paths and connect some of the words with the clocks and also link the clocks between them. To create the lines just draw the paths and then right click and choose Stroke Path.

Final adjustments

Whether you followed steps 14 and 15 or not, you can continue here. You can give your artworks a different, more modern look by making some general adjustments to the entire artwork.
I created a Stamp with Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E and then I went to Image>Adjustments>Variations and I chose More Blue and I reduced the layer’s Opacity to 15%.

In order to adjust the general illumination on the scene I used the Lighting Effects Filter. First I created a new stamp with the same keyboard shortcut and then I applied the filter. See the settings below.

I gave the last touch using two adjustment layers to shift the color with Color Balance and increase the contrast a bit using Levels.

This is the result of the general adjustments we made. On the left is the result we got on Step 15 and on the right is the final result after applying the general adjustments.

Final result


 

sumber

0 komentar:

Post a Comment